To the Editor: Before the Pinetop-Lakeside Town Manager’s Office, (Kelly Udall, manager), was named in a 2010 law suit for conspiring to violate Arizona and public works contracting statutes, Udall’s contract was renewed every few years.
However, in 011, with Town Attorney Foree advocating on behalf of Udall, the Town Council, (not including Councilwoman Vanesian), approved an “open-ended” contract for Udall with a full year’s compensation if he is ever terminated.
In addition, keep in mind the following:
• Arizona’s population is about 6,482,500.
• Pinetop-Lakeside’s population is about 4,500
• Governor Jan Brewer’s base salary is $94,000 annually
• Manager Udall’s base salary is $115,677 annually-that’s $21,677 more than the governor of an entire state.
• Manager Udall is not required to work a specific amount of hours per week
• He receives a $500 per month vehicle allowance
• $100 per month cell phone allowance
• 25 days per year paid vacation.
• 12 days paid sick leave.
• Paid medical, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
• Paid related travel expenses.
• Paid related dues and subscriptions, and more.
But even more concerning, Udall’s contract agreement provides that Udall’s base salary is raised whenever any Pinetop-Lakeside department head receives a raise. For instance, if the Finance Director receives a raise of 10 percent, Udall will automatically receive a 10 percent raise. (Udall as Town Manager is also the Town’s Personnel Director who assigns, with Council approval, such wage increases.)
Outragous? You decide. To read the entire Udall contract, please go to www.pinetop-lakesidepvc.org
Mark Jacobs, People’s Vision Committee