White Mountain Apache Tribe
updated Aug. 9
• A-1 Lake: Fair. A-1 Lake is accessible. Try green power bait or nightcrawlers. Try lures like spinners in bright colors and spoons in gold finish. Boat ramp accessible. Do not drive or park vehicles off main roads and parking areas.
• Big Bear Lake: Good. Big Bear is accessible. Try baits like night crawlers or yellow power bait. Try spoons in silver finish. Try spinners like panther martins and rooster tails. The boat ramp is not accessible.
• Bog Tank: Fair. Bog Tank is accessible. Try night crawlers, purple power bait, or salmon eggs. Try spinners and z-ray spoons. Day use only-No camping allowed.
• Bootleg Lake: Fair. Try topwater frog lures and crank bait for largemouth bass in weeds around lake. Try night crawlers and stink bait for channel catfish. There are weeds around lake.
• Christmas Tree Lake: Reservations for Christmas Tree Lake can be made online at wmatoutdoors.org. Limited to 20 anglers per day with reservations.
• Cooley Lake: Fair. Try night crawlers or power bait for trout. Try crank bait and topwater for largemouth bass near weed beds around lake. Try stink bait or chicken liver for channel catfish.
• Drift Fence Lake: Fair. Try different colors of power bait like rainbow and charteuse or night crawlers. Lures like kastmasters spoons and Mepps spinners in bright colors.
• Earl Park Lake: Fair. Earl Park Lake is accessible. Try night crawlers, garlic power bait in different colors, or salmon eggs. Try lures like spinners or spoons trolled from boat..
• Hawley Lake: Good. Hawley Lake is accessible. Try baits like nightcrawler or green power bait rigged to fish off the bottom. Try lures like mepps spinners or silver kast master spoons. Boat ramps around lake are accessible.
• Horseshoe Lake: Fair. Horseshoe Lake is accessible. Try night crawlers or rainbow power bait. Try lures like spinners with silver blades. Boat anglers try night crawlers, power bait, or spoons. The Horseshoe Lake Store is closed. The boat ramp is accessible.
• Little Bear Lake: Good. Little Bear Lake is accessible. Try night crawlers, rainbow glitter power bait off the bottom, or lures like silver kastmaster spoons and bright colored panther martin spinners retrieved or trolled from boat. Boat ramp accessible.
• Pacheta Lake: Fair. Pacheta Lake is “Catch-and-Release” artificial flies and lures only with single, barbless hooks. Pacheta Lake is accessible. Try dry fly patterns like hoppers and wet fly patterns like streamers. Reservation Lake store is closed.
• Reservation Lake: Good. Try power bait with glitter in orange or rainbow or night crawlers. Boat anglers try spinners or spoons. Try wet fly patterns. Reservation lake store is closed.
• Sunrise Lake: Good. Try night crawlers or charteuse power bait. Try lures like spinners. Fly patterns: try wet patterns. The Sunrise General Store is open. Do not drive or park vehicles off main roads and parking areas around Sunrise Lake.
• Streams: Fair. Try night crawlers, spinners, and jigs in slower moving, deeper pools and riffles near structures like logs and boulders. In lower elevation streams try night crawlers, small spinners or jigs for smallmouth bass earlier in day before monsoon storms make streams turbid.
• Black River: Fair. Special-Use Permit Is Required. Try jigs, night crawlers, or spinners near structures or in pools for bass. Try stink bait or night crawlers for catfish.
• Salt River: Fair. A Special-Use permit is required. Try night crawlers and jigs. Try stink-bait or night crawlers for catfish. It is your responsibility to pack out what you packed in.
• Tonto Lake: (Tribal members). Fair. Try pink powerbait or nightcrawlers for rainbow trout. Try small crankbaits, spinners, and spoons retrieved from shore or trolled from boat.
Daily bag limits for trout: 15 and older is 5 fish/day; 10-14 years old is 3 fish/day; 9 and younger is 2 fish/day. A valid White Mountain Apache Tribal Permit is required and must carried at all times while fishing, boating, camping and other recreation activities on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Permits can be obtained online at wmatoutdoors.org or at permit vendors. Firework possession and its use is prohibited on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Visit our website at www.wmatoutdoors.org or call our office at 928-338-4385 for the latest fishing report, fire restrictions and closures.
For more information, call White Mountain Apache Game and Fish Department at 928-338-4385.