White Mountain Apache Tribe
updated June 29
• A-1 Lake: Good. Try garlic powerbait or nightcrawlers. Try lures like spinners in bright colors and spoons in gold finish like kastmasters. Boat ramp accessible. Do not drive/park vehicles off main roads/parking areas.
• Big Bear Lake: Good. Try nightcrawlers or turbo pink powerbait. Try spoons in red/white finish and spinners in bright colors like roostertails. Boat ramp is not accessible.
• Bog Tank: Fair. Bog Tank accessible. Try nightcrawlers, bubble gum colored powerbait power eggs, or salmon eggs. Try spinners and gold colored spoons. Day use only, No camping allowed.
• Bootleg Lake: Bootleg Lake is closed due to fire danger.
• Christmas Tree Lake: Christmas Tree Lake is closed due to fire danger.
• Cooley Lake: Fair. Try nightcrawlers or powerbait for trout off the top. Try crankbait and jigs for largemouth bass near weed beds around lake. Try stinkbait for channel catfish.
• Drift Fence Lake: Drift Fence Lake is closed due to fire danger.
• Earl Park Lake: Fair. Earl Park Lake is accessible. Try nightcrawlers, charteuse garlic powerbait in different colors, or salmon eggs. Try lures like spinners or spoons either retrieved or trolled.
• Hawley Lake: Good. Try baits like nightcrawler or rainbow glitter powerbait rigged to fish off the bottom. Try spinners like mepps or silver kastmaster spoons. Boat ramps around lake are accessible. Hawley Lake Store is open from Wednesday to Sunday.
• Horseshoe Lake: Fair. Try nightcrawlers or orange powerbait. Try lures like spinners with gold blades. Boat anglers try nightcrawlers, powerbait, or spoons. The Horseshoe Lake Store is closed. Boat ramp accessible.
• Little Bear Lake: Good. Little Bear is accessible. Try nightcrawlers, white powerbait power eggs, or lures like silver kastmaster spoons and bright colored panther martin spinners. Boat ramp accessible.
• Pacheta Lake: Pacheta Lake is closed due to fire danger.
Reservation Lake: Reservation Lake is closed due to fire danger.
• Sunrise Lake: Good. Try nightcrawlers or red/white/blue powerbait. Try lures like bright colored spinners. Fly patterns try nymphs and streamers. Sunrise General Store open. Boat rentals available at marina Thursday through Sunday. Do not drive/park vehicles off main roads/parking areas.
• Streams: Good. Try nightcrawlers, spinners, and jigs in slower moving pools and riffles. In lower elevation streams try nightcrawlers, small spinners or jigs for smallmouth bass.
• Black River: Black River is closed due to fire danger closure.
• Salt River: Fair. A Special-Use Permit Is Required. The Salt River is closed from the 1st campground to the western Reservation boundary. Try night crawlers and jigs. Try stink-bait or nightcrawlers for catfish. It is your responsibility to pack out what you packed in.
• Tonto Lake: (Tribal Members). Tonto Lake is closed due to fire danger closure.
Daily bag limits for trout: 15 & older is 5 fish/day; 10-14 years old is 3 fish/day; 9 & younger is 2 fish/day. A valid White Mountain Apache Tribal Permit is required and must carried at all times while fishing, boating, camping and other recreation activities on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Permits can be obtained online at wmatoutdoors.org or at permit vendors. Firework possession and its use is prohibited on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Visit our website at www.wmatoutdoors.org or call the office at 928-338-4385 for the latest fishing report, fire restrictions and closures.
For more information, call White Mountain Apache Tribe Game & Fish Department at 928-338-4385.